Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Things That Don't Work at -42C

Over the past week the temperatures have plummeted and have been as low as -42 C static, around -48C with wind added. This is not pleasant, it's just plain painful.
At these temperatures certain things stop working, things you wouldn't normally think about.

1. Digital Cameras
This last week I have spent a lot of time outdoors with work related issues; of course it would be the week with the lowest temperatures so far!! The knack to surviving outdoors in this weather is to do it in 5 minute pieces, that way the important parts of your body don't have time to freeze. During one of these 5 minute excursions I felt something tickling me under my nose, couldn't be a bug much to cold for any living thing, so what was it? I walked over to my car and checked things out in the mirror; there was a white bottle brush under my nose!! Ice had formed on my moustache and made the wiskers go in all directions. I did not dare rub the ice off because I was afraid the whole thing would just shatter. Then the inevitable happened...somebody pulled out a camera. But the weather was kind, the camera opened up as digital cameras do, and then completely died and refused to work any more....yeh!!

2. Car CD Players
I cannot drive without music, and so as is my wont I slid a CD into the car player, nothing happened for a while but then an incredible noise erupted from the speakers. It sounded like the whole CD was being played at once...and backwards at that!! It wasn't until I had driven for about 30 minutes that the thing started to work properly!!!

3. Car Transmissions
The engine of my car has a wonderful little heater so that I can start it in the morning even at -42 C. The other morning I jumped in the car and started it as usual, and then tried to put it in gear....I couldn't move the gear stick at all, completely rigid. I tried to move it and finally there was a little movement, then a little more, eventually after about 10 minutes I managed to get it in first and slowly got the car moving... the transmission oil had frozen!!!

4. Me !!!!!!

2 Comments:

At 7:22 PM, Blogger The middle child said...

It's amazing to realize that it is 100 degrees warmer here than over there, and I wore a coat to work.

Siberia is a stupid place.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Freezerburntbrit said...

Well, my dear, it does bring home the bacon, or in your case turkey bacon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home