Wednesday, October 11, 2006

"It" came in the night

Yesterday was a weird day. In the morning the temperature was around -5C, by lunch time it was -11C. In the afternoon I went out to the rigs for meetings. The tundra was quiet but the sky was very agitated, the temperatures continued to fall and held at -15C....nippy to say the least!!

I asked one of the guys on the rig why was the sky so strange, "oh" he said "it's coming" then walked off grinning, no further explanation.

I got back to the office around 6:30 in the evening and I asked one of the guys in the office what was happening to the weather, he said" well, it's coming".

Mystified I went to the apartment for a meal and a cozy bed.

During the night "it" did come.....the wind roared like a demented animal and the windows rattled. I woke up and went over to the window, I have never seen anything like it, the snow was coming down and the wind blowing like I've never seen it. The snow whipped up by the wind cut visibility down to a few yards.

"It" was the first blizzard of the winter...wow!!

4 Comments:

At 6:01 PM, Blogger The middle child said...

And to think, I was excited about our 61 degree 'cold front' that was rolling in on Friday!

I just used Google Earth to find you, the satellite is surprisingly clear ( I guess we're still keeping a close eye on our Russian allies). It's amazing, there's nothing there but old buildings and a brown river. If anyone else wants to see it, the correct spelling of his whereabouts is:

Novyy Urengoy, Yamalo-Nenetskiy, Russia - Oh, and you have to download Google Earth.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Sounds like the Russians enjoy the Englishman's ignorance of thier weather.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger kelly said...

There is nothing that fascinates me more than watching the elements at their worst. However, I prefer to do it from a safe and, if at all possible, comfortable vantage point. Of course I have never heard the wind howl like a demented animal, but I guess that if I have to endure such weather conditions I'd rather take your word for it.
GOD! that is what fascinates me about the elements. One is humbly reminded of God's power, of his stature, of his majesty, his awesomeness and of his sovereignty . He created all these, and they obey Him. as someone once cleverly put it"it puts Jesus in the driver's seat

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger kelly said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home