Sunday, August 20, 2006

Food....Glorious Food !!

After spending a bit of time in this garden spot of Siberia I have continually sort to find a good source of groceries. Not that the stores are bad, just that I can't find them!! It seems to be some sort of local sport to hide the stores. It's hard to explain but stores here are not like stores elsewhere in the world ....they are hidden, usually in the myriad concrete block houses scattered around town! Believe me I have looked hard and long. When I ask the locals in my office they kind of smile and say " yes you need to know were they are". So yesterday I got hold of an engineer in the office asked him to show me the best place to buy good groceries because at the moment I'm living off a diet of canned veggies and lousy apples!
I was driven to a series of concrete block houses about a mile from the office, as is normal there was no signs outside just a metal entrance door set in the concrete wall. There were loads of cars in the car park and people coming and going into this building.
We entered the building......absolute heaven!! Stall after stall of fresh fruit and veggies in a spotlessly clean interior. There were peaches as good as I have seen anywhere, all kinds of exotic fruits, wonderful veggies....wow, I didn't know which way to turn!! And that was not all, the next room/area was full of nuts, dried fruits, beans etc. There was yet another room full of meat, cold cuts, fish..loads of fish and smoked fish. I spent a wonderful hour strolling around all the stalls and buying some great stuff...I will be a regular visitor now I know were it is !!

4 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

Hot water and a food supply. All a Mellars man needs to survive in any conditions.

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger kelly said...

Catherine, you just don't believe everything the Winos told you at Earl's Court underground station when doing our evangelistic work in London. You were there to convert them, and not the other way round.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger The middle child said...

Yes, Catherine, you're a Christian!! You can't enjoy drink! Now, food. Well, you can eat food until your fat oozes over your waistline and you can still lead an enitre congregation AND lecture other people on their shortcomings, but God help you if you enjoy a drink. Jesus may have had a drink once in a while, but he NEVER enjoyed it.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

A russian Harrods of sorts. Delightful. I imagine your reaction was what it must have been like for Eastern Europeans to first set foot in an American or British grocery store just after the wall came down.

Even immigrants now from developing countries have a hard time with our stores.

glad you found a true bit of Paradise in Siberia :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home