Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Frozen Toilet - A scary but true story

Recently I went out to a Russian drilling rig to look it over before we started drilling. Of course it was a bitingly cold day around -30 deg C with a piercing wind.
As with all cold weather it caused a need to go to the toilet. I was pointed to a wooden shack sitting precariously on top of a snow drift off to the side of the location. The need was greater than the obvious dangers.
I opened the door slowly and looked into the dark interior. It was a simple interior with wood walls and a large round hole in the floor. The floor of the interior was wet with melted snow as the interior was heated by a small electrical heater( all mod cons! ). I stepped in to use this Siberian comfort station and two things immediately happened; one, I started to slide on the wet floor towards the gaping hole, and two, was hit by the most incredile stench I have ever had the misfortune to smell. I back peddled as fast as I could mainly to stop myself from falling into the hole, but also to escape the smell.
I took great gulps of the lovely fresh air as soon as I got out. But the need was even greater. I took a deep breath and plunged in, this time taking care to wedge my feet against the walls.
I looked into the hole to see, to my amazment, a brown stalagmite poking up to the level of the hole in the floor! I suspect all would have been well had they not put a heater in there thus melting the top of the brown stalagmite!!!
Never again!!

4 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Blogger The middle child said...

That's fantastic, a pooh stalagtite, how priceless!!!

I want to try some of this Russian vodka, can you export, or is there some weird law?

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

I always got stalagmites and stalagtites mixed up....with that vivid description, I don't think I'll ever forget them now.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger kelly said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Element Youth Church said...

Can we just say that we have never laughed harder in our lives? Oh my, better you than us. Keep telling us your adventures and we'll enjoy reading them from my comfy chair in a warm house with a clean loo.
Wayne and Heidi Wright

 

Post a Comment

<< Home