Monday, March 13, 2006

One week on

Unbelievable the way time flies when your having fun. I've been in Novy Urengoy, Siberia for a week already. The weather is the main problem and also the main source of amazement. These are definately the lowest temperatures I have ever experienced and it's March already. This last week has been around -20 deg C with an unusual day of only -2. The coldest day was at -32 . Apparently at this time of year the temperature can vary a good deal... no kidding.

The office I work in is heated to tropical levels and also the living accomodation, so coming and going means putting clothes on and taking clothes off, putting clothes on and taking clothes off etc.. Despite all protests I have opened my office window I can't stand this stuffy heat, and the locals are not too fond of using deoderant either!!

2 Comments:

At 6:05 AM, Blogger kelly said...

Glad to hear you are having fun! I guess northeners (Ayup) have to have their fresh air. Especially if it comes directly from the Storehouse,and before it has been breathed by anyone else.

This sounds exactly opposite to downtown Athens which boasted the record of the most poluted city in the world.

About the B.O Well I don't know why I keep comparing it to Greece. It must be that the Eastern Europeness of Russia permeates even the accounts of the place

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Freezerburntbrit said...

Amazing, I too get a feeling of Greece about this place. Maybe it's the cryllic writing or something. The Russians also smoke really stinkey cigarettes, just like the Greeks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home